The rail tour to Morretes is the most famous and the most booked tour in Curitiba. If you are planing a trip to Curitiba, this one should be on your must-do-list – and if possible, booked before you arrive here! Get information and tips here to make the best choice and have a great experience during the tour.
How does the rail tour to Morretes work?
Most important things first! The train has one departure time to Morretes and one back to Curitiba. It leaves from Curitiba at 8:15 am (the deluxe train at 9:15 am – you will read about the difference later) and it leaves from „Rodoferroviária“ in Curitiba (bus and train station are in the same place). The departure place is central and has easy access by bus, cab or even walking from some hotels. The journey takes about 4 hours and 15 minutes, but there might be delays or stops in the middle of the journey. The tourist train shares the railway with cargo trains, and cargo has priority. Delays can not be predicted, but do not let them ruin your trip – just be advised that they might occurr.
Many people still referr to the rail tour as to Paranaguá. It was so in former times, but since some years, the rail tour ends in Morretes. Unfortunately the rail station in Paranaguá is in very bad shape. But we swear you will not miss any beautiful landscapes, because the most beautiful parks of the railway end in Morretes anyway!
Morretes is a nice and picturesque little town. You will find handcraft stores with local goods, beautiful old houses, historical buildings, the beautiful Nhundiaquara river and restaurants with the regional food „barreado“ – a beef stew served with cassava flour, rice, bananas, fish, praws and side dishes. Try the famous „bala de banana“ – banana candy – and the „cachaças” – sugar cane spirit.
The train departs back to Curitiba from the local rail station – central and easy to find – at 3 pm. The journey takes about 4 hours and 15 minutes and the landscapes are the same as on the way there.
An important tip: it might be tiring (or boring!) to go and return by train. The landscape is the same and you will be more than 7 hours inside the train. It is usually better to go or return by van or by bus. We will show you below some options you have so that you can compare and book the best one for you. Package tours usually include one way or another along the Graciosa Road or the BR-277, depending on the climate. Both have beautiful landscapes of the Serra do Mar mountain range.
Know how much does it cost? Compare and book!
The most important now is to guarantee your seat in this unmissible rail tour to Morretes. It is often fully booked – book it ahead!
You have several options: book only the tickets (one-way or return) or complete tour packages that will make your stay more comfortable! See here the most booked tour options, but in our website you will find all options, including ones with hiking, rafting or canoening.
• One-way ticket in the tourist category: book only the train ticket. Perfect for independent travellers who want to organize everything by their own. You will need to go to the rail station in the tour day, have lunch where you prefer in Morretes and organize by yourself your further trip. There are buses between Morretes and Curitiba (Viação Graciosa). Cost: R$ 119 per person (Portuguese speaking guide, snacks and 1 water or soda) or R$ 174 per person in the executive category (with Portuguese/English speaking guide, snacks, soda, water and beer included). The train departs from Curitiba at 8:15 am.
• Tour package in the tourist category: a van picks you up in your central adress between 7:00 and 7:45 am. Rail tour to Morretes, regional lunch (no beverages nor desserts are included), visit to Morretes and Antonina. Return to Curitiba by van along the Graciosa Road, finishing at your adress in Curitiba. R$ 269 per person or R$ 319 in the executive category with English speaking guide.
• Tour package in the deluxe category: a van picks you up in your central adress between 8:00 and 8:45. Rail tour to Morretes with Portuguese/English speaking guide, breakfast, sparkling wine, beer, soda and water on board, stop at Santuário do Cadeado in the middle of the forest, regional lunch (no beverages nor desserts are included), visit to Morretes and Antonina. Return to Curitiba by van along the Graciosa Road, finishing at your adress in Curitiba. R$ 439 per person.
•Sunset tour in the tourist category: departure by van from Curitiba to Morretes at 9:30 am from the rail station (the van does not pick you up at your adress) and return ticket to Curitiba. Lunch is not included and you can choose the restaurant you prefer. R$ 159 per person or R$ 205 in the executive category with English speaking guide in the train.
• Sunset tour in the deluxe category (best value!): the van picks you up between 9 and 9:30 am. You will enjoy the Graciosa road in the morning, visit to Antonina and Morretes, regional lunch (no beverages nor dessert included) and will have the comfort and enjoy the service of the deluxe train in the return. The tour finishes in your adress. R$ 332 per person.
Important: the tour is called “sunset”, but we can not guarantee you will see it, as it depends on the time the sun goes down.
If you compare all the options, the tour packages with transport from your adress, lunch and return by van are a good deal. They are worth and you will not have any worry and will not loose time organizing your trip on spot. Besides that, you will visit Antonina, a lovely harbour town with great views of the bay. It is close to Morretes, but a bit difficult to reach and visit with public transportation. Compare and choose the best option for you. We are here to assist you to make a good choice.
Important! The transportation can also be done along the BR-277 in case the weathear conditions are not safe to driver on the Graciosa Road.
Know the train categories
You have already read about the main tour options. Compare here the different train categories:
• Tourist category: this one has daily departures from Curitiba at 8:15 am and from Morretes at 3 pm. The seats are cushioned and a guide in Portuguese will inform about the tour, telling about the history, geography and landscapes. Snacks, one water or soda are included.
• Executive category: departures weekends or on request (minimum 10 people). Cushioned seats, the guide on board speaks Portuguese and English. Snacks, water, soda and beer are included. Departs from Curitiba at 8:15 am and from Morretes at 3 pm.
• Deluxe category: departures weekends or on request (minimum 10 people). This train is very charming and the atmosphere is very specail. Only two cars in this category, with only 23 seats each – very exclusive! Sparkling wine, breakfast, soda, water and beer are included. A stop for pictures at Santuário do Cadeado happens on the way to Morretes, in the middle of the rain forest. Departure from Curitiba at 9:15 am and returno from Morretes at 3 pm. Do you want to know more about the deluxe train? Read our post about it.
Watch the vídeo with images about the different categories and choose the one you prefer.
How to book your rail tour to Morretes?
The most comfortable way is to book only in the links of every tour above. If you have questions, you can call us at +55 41 3232 1314, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or a whatsapp or text message to +55 41 9 9935-7215. You will find many tours and information in our website. It is worth to take a look in the different tours and get inspired to make the most of your trip. See also the advantages to become our client! The informed prices are per person. Children younger than 12 years old have discounts.
“If this is one of the most booked tours, should I book before?“
For sure! The sooner the better. Some categories, like the deluxe, are almost always fully booked, especially during holidays. The price is the same if you book before and you will not have any extra work when you arrive.
Important – be aware to have your passport!
All participants, including children, should take the original documents to ride the train. Children travelling without the parents should take a travel authorization, the same type used to flights. Check if you have your document with you to avoid problems.
Some information more…
“If it rains, will the rail tour be cancelled?“ NO! The train ride happens also in case of rain. The landscapes are surely prettier with sunshine, but you do not need to cancel the tour because of the weather. And you will most likely have a penalty fee in case of cancelation. The wheater here is very weird and it changes a lot along the day. The beautiful mountains and rain forest will be there anyway!
“May I choose the seats?” The seats are numbered and sold in order. We can not skip them or choose the side. If there are seats available, you may change it after tour begin.
About the regional lunch: the cuisine in Morretes attracts many people. When included, the food is typical of the region: „barreado“ – beef stew served with cassava flour, rice, bananas, fish, praws and side dishes. In case you have any food restriction, please inform in your booking request. We can not guarantee, but will try to accommodate your needs. If the meal is not included, you can choose the restaurant you prefer. Most restaurants cost from R$ 50 per person. If you like “cachaça”, do not miss the local ones!
“If I live in Curitiba, do you pick me up at home?“ If you chose a tour with this servisse, the answer is YES! Inform your adress instead of hotel name in your booking request: if it is downtown or a close neighborhood, the pick-up servisse is included. If you live further away, there might be a fee. We will inform you and you will decide if you want it or not.
Pay attention to the pick up times. If your tour includes pick up service, please be at the lobby on time to avoid delays to the group. If you will go straight to the rail station, plan time ahead because of the traffic and to avoid problems.
Watch our video and other pictures with the main moments of the rail tour to Morretes and see how the tour is. You will be sure to book NOW!